Killie are now sitting just one point above bottom spot after being swept away by an Aberdeen side who looked a class above us for the entirety of the game. Unbeaten in eleven games now against us, the men from up North strolled through the match with Dons keeper Lewis barely having a save to make.

The game ebbed and flowed for the first twenty five minutes, with the away side marginally shading the possession and chances. However, when their opener finally arrived, it came in a very controversial manner. A routine through ball into the Killie box was chased down by Aberdeen’s James Maddison, with Jamie MacDonald rushing off his line and seeming to gather the ball comfortably. Maddison failed to stop in time and clattered into Jamie MacDonald, who dropped the ball because of this. So a fairly routine free kick to Killie then? Right?


To the absolute astonishment of the home support, Mr Willie Collum pointed to the penalty spot, reaffirming his status as the worst and most hated referee in Scottish football. The Killie fans were up in arms, the Aberdeen support at first as shocked as we were, but then delirious at the thought of getting what would basically be a free goal. To add insult to injury, Mr Collum then proceeded to book a slightly confused looking Jamie MacDonald. The coolest man throughout all of this was Adam Rooney, who calmly stepped up and sent MacDonald the wrong way to give the Dons the lead.

All thoughts of protests against Michael Johnston were out of the window at this point, the Kilie support had a new man to hate, and the esteemed Mr Johnston never bothered to turn up anyway. There was a weak round of ‘We want Johnston out’ after six minutes, but that was the extent of the protests for today. If the home fans were angry after the penalty fiasco, they were even angrier a few minutes later as Kris Boyd went tumbling in the box but of course, in Mr Collum’s fantasy world, there was absolutely nothing wrong. A stalemate of sorts was played out till half time, with boos ringing out around Rugby Park on the whistle. However, unlike previously, these were aimed at the man in the middle.

Looking back on it, Killie were never once competitive in the second half, if you were an outsider then you would have thought that they were there to make up the numbers. Aberdeen scored a goal quickly after the restart against Rangers last weekend, and they hit us with the same quick sucker punch. A routine Aberdeen corner on fifty minutes was not dealt with, and Andrew Considine took advantage of the slack defending to fire high into the net from inside the box. From that point on Killie looked like a house of cards about to be blown away and it was slightly surprising that it took the away side another seventeen minutes to get their third. Another corner swung in low from the Aberdeen left eluded everyone in the box except Ash Taylor, who made no mistake from all of two yards. Once again, for what feels like the hundredth time this season, we lose another cheap goal from a corner. This is definitely something that Lee Clark needs to work on, because we are currently shipping goals faster than Postman Pat ships parcels.

From that point on, it looked as though Aberdeen could run riot. However, thankfully for the sake of our goal difference statistic, the Dons only managed another one. Moments after Rooney crashed a shot off the bar, he was played through on goal by Hayes and he made no mistake, unleashing a powerful shot which MacDonald got a hand to but couldn’t keep out.

And so ended another torturous day at Rugby Park for the three thousand or so faithful Killie fans, although only about half of whom stayed till the end. We have now lost ten goals in the last two games, statistics which would be alarming for any football team in the world, let alone relegation candidates which Killie usually are. With the international break now upon us, it is a good time for Lee Clark and the players to reflect, and to try and work out a way to make us poor Killie fans somewhat happier come Saturday nights.

By Adam Lyon